RESOURCE GATHERER (Photojournalist)
cbm Canada is currently looking for a talented Resource Gatherer
Everybody wants to make a difference. To leave the world a better place than they found it.
Are you looking for a challenging, exciting career that changes lives here and in poorer countries? Join our Team.
We are cbm Canada, a Christian organization, bringing hope and healing to kids and their families living with disabilities in the poorest communities of the world. cbm Canada works in communities to improve access to healthcare, education and livelihood opportunities for people with disability.
About the position:
- Reporting To: Senior Writer
- Employment Status: Full-Time (35 hours per week), Salaried
- Salary: TBD + Benefits & RRSP
- Location: 3844 Stouffville Road, Stouffville, ON + travel
- Date Posted: September 26, 2018
- Application Deadline: October 17, 2018
About the job:
The primary role of the Resource Gatherer is to collect and catalogue stories and images representing cbm program work allowing cbm Canada to share its message of hope and healing.
More specifically, Resource Gatherer will:
- Travel to developing countries to interview, photograph and film video segments of clients and partners utilizing a journalistic approach
- Capture images and interview clients and partners (often via an interpreter) in an authentic, respectful and ethical manner
- Conduct full interviews so thorough stories can be communicated
- Make sure content includes emotional and descriptive language
- Fact-check information given by sources
- Ensure enough photographs are taken to be used across various media channels
- Prepare for resource trips by working with Program Managers to plan and coordinate field visits and client interviews.
- Ensure consent forms are fully completed by clients and partners
- Write short captions or headlines to accompany photographs
- Use image-editing software to edit images
- Build contacts and sources for use in future stories
- Ensure stories, images and videos are easily accessible by all members of the marketing and creative team by developing and utilizing a consistent cataloguing method.
- Research, document, and present clients’ stories to the Senior Writer in an honest, ethical, and unbiased manner
- Process, colour correct and ethically edit photographs and/or videos that may be provided by other parties
- Ensure stories and photographs are appropriately catalogued so other members of the organization are able to source them for use
- Ensure obtained consent forms are properly filed and stored
- Update and maintain the resource database
- Identify and inform Senior Writer when there are resource gaps for upcoming marketing projects
- Train field partners and local colleagues on how to conduct interviews and gather images.
Why would you want to come and work with us?
- You will work shoulder to shoulder with people as excited about changing the world as you are. You can bring your faith to work – it makes for an awesome atmosphere
- We believe in work-life balance so we offer 15 paid vacation days starting from the first year of service, 10 paid personal days and days off to volunteer and for spiritual growth
- You will take on a significant role in changing the world
Our ideal candidate would have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Photo Journalism, Communications or related field experience
- Equipment skills – thorough knowledge of digital camera equipment, lighting equipment, lenses, print photography equipment, and publication software
- Editing skills – knowing what to enhance and what to take away from images
- Creativity – must consistently find creative ways in which to visually depict the stories to draw readers in and maintain interest in stories covered
- Collaboration skills – work closely with Creative and Marketing Teams to generate story ideas and review images
- Organizational skills
- Time management skills – must be adept at keeping to schedules and delivering edited images for stories in a short period of time
- Ability to upload and maintain a photo database system and train others on how to utilize the database
- Ability to work independently
- Strong desire and commitment to tell the truth
- Attention to detail
- Ability to communicate and effectively interact with people across cultures
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in difficult and challenging situations
Working conditions and other requirements:
- Standard office environment
- Must be eligible to work in Canada and obtain travel visas as necessary
- Availability to travel internationally, domestically and to developing countries frequently and with short notice;
- Comfortable working in hardship conditions (inclement weather, lack of facilities)
- Must be fully committed to the core values and mission of cbm Canada;
- Must understand, comply and demonstrate a strong understanding of cbm’s Safeguarding practices
- Must have a reliable source of transportation
Please forward you cover letter and resume to email@example.com
In Accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities (AODA), cbm Canada strives to ensure that all recruiting processes are non-discriminatory.
If you require an accommodation, please advise HR in advance of attending the interview.
cbm Canada is a ‘child-safe organization’.
As a condition of employment, successful candidates will be required to undergo Vulnerable Sector Screening from the police jurisdiction in which they reside.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All other applicants are thanked for their interest.